17 Nov 2015
Granny Flats – What you need to know!
Are you considering constructing a granny flat?
It is important that you understand the relevant local government planning requirements and processes prior to construction of any granny flat.
Are you the owner of an existing granny flat or considering occupying a granny flat?
- It is important for you to have agreements in place which protect your rights and interests as owner or occupier of the granny flat.
- Have you considered the impact that residing in a granny flat may have on your current or future Centrelink entitlements.
- If you are occupying, or intend to occupy a granny flat as the recipient of aged care assistance it is important that you consider how your occupation of a granny flat may affect your entry into an aged care facility.
There are special legal considerations that apply to these scenarios.
If you are considering any of the above options, you should seek professional advice about the legalities that apply to your situation to ensure that your rights are adequately protected and that you are adequately informed of your responsibilities.
At HKT Legal we can assist you with:
- Understanding the local government process in constructing a granny flat;
- The preparation of appropriate agreements between the owner and occupier of a granny flat;
- Understanding the implications of using a granny flat for the provision of aged care;
For further information on granny flats see attached brochure, or email email@example.com or call (08) 9325 5700